Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Kasparov Detained

Allegedly under instructions from the big wigs to give as much trouble to Gary, a Russian border guard was overheard as saying: "How can I stop a Russian citizen from entering Russia?"

This evening (AEST), the Russian newswires are reporting that Gary Kasparov was apparently detained at the Moscow Airport as he was returning from a trip to Croatia. Everyone else in his party got through OK. For more, read the mosnews.com report here.


*********************************

In this Observer Magazine article last Sunday, Kasparov talks of chess and, of course, his current passion - politics. When asked about his long term aim, the former World Champion replied:

Well, it might be that I find myself very useful . . . It might be that I offer my vision to the country, whether it's accepted or not. I think Russia virtually has to be rewritten from scratch.

No comments: