Monday, March 26, 2007

Picture From The Past

One of the most photographed spots in Sydney is no doubt the chess pit in Sydney's Hyde Park. I have a few of my own. It was quite interesting for me then to spot this photo by Australian street photographer Roger Scott taken way back in 1969. Does anybody know those two gentlemen on the photo especially that one with the glasses?

As you can see, the set up was different back then. In fact, actually, I'm not sure that they had a big chess board back in '69 but note the table that these guys are playing on. Today there are only two small ones with small boards less than the regular tournament size. Here is what it looks like today. Also I think the chess area was located in a different spot - somewhere near what is now called the Sandringham Gardens. Not too sure about that.

No comments: